Director of Cloud Operations
Location: Santa Barbara, California
AxiaMed is a high growth SaaS payment transaction and security technology company dedicated to the healthcare industry. As an emerging leader in this space, we specialize in developing top-tier technology for transactional and revenue cycle management. Our goal is to revolutionize transactions by providing integrated solutions that enhance security and streamline workflow. Our core customer embraces secure and scalable technology that empowers their growth. We delight them by providing trusted, secure, easy to use, and innovative technology that allows them to focus on their core business. AxiaMed currently offers specific proprietary solutions together with customized web-based payment solutions and on-premise payment devices.
Our core values of Gratitude, Servant Leadership, Stewardship, Fruitfulness, and Teamwork define who we are at AxiaMed and represent ultimate objectives for our enterprise. We seek those who share these objectives and bring to AxiaMed a passion for excellence in their professions.
AxiaMed is currently seeking an experienced Director of Cloud Operations to support our mission of providing secure, reliable and innovative payment solutions to our healthcare clients. The Director of Cloud Operations reports directly to our VP of Engineering and works with other senior technical leaders to translate strategic plans and goals into tactical plans with clear priorities. The Director of Cloud Operations is responsible for the development and implementation of best practice cloud-based production systems, DevOps processes, and related engineering tools. This “hands-on” role is an excellent opportunity to make major contributions to our dynamic growing organization and to leverage your experience to create high value software solutions for our healthcare clients.
- Lead the architecture, deployment, automation, maintenance, and management of mission-critical cloud-based production systems (i.e. AWS and Azure) to ensure 24 x 7 availability, performance, and scalability.
- Manage complex customer-facing projects on-time and with high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Automate cloud services using vendor-specific services including AWS CloudFormation.
- Manage SSL certificates and public key infrastructure (PKI).
- Develop and manage a 24×7 support infrastructure; proactively take action if/when systems are down or there are interruptions in service; root cause and implement corrective actions to build long-term customer loyalty.
- Create and evolve runbooks to facilitate efficient management and troubleshooting of IT systems.
- Create and manage monitoring and alerting processes and procedures to ensure actionable alerts are generated, operated on, and lead to problems being eliminated before impacting customers.
- Optimize AWS billing, including the selection and management of Reserved Instances.
- Plan, implement, monitor, and test systems and procedures for best practice Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery (BCDR).
- Develop metrics of success and report these to VP of Engineering on a regular basis.
- Identify key trends and emerging technologies that can enhance or impact the solution architecture to drive efficiency and/or maximize the value of our Client offering.
- Review product requirements, design and implement appropriate Agile platform architecture and DevOps processes, manage engineering tool integrations, and help define the performance engineering strategy for Axia’s products.
- Seek to standardize the development environment and automate the integration and delivery processes to improve predictability, efficiency, and ease of maintenance.
- Ensure that application performance is as expected and that those applications can scale to appropriately handle loads; work with Software Engineering to re-architect/re-design as necessary.
- Work closely with Axia’s Director of Security & Compliance to ensure the use of best in class cloud security solutions.
- Serve as the company’s subject matter expert to support other Axia teams for purposes of client, partner, and vendor development and relations.
Required Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related IT field.
- 7+ years of Cloud Operations related experience with at least 3 years as a Cloud Operations Lead or Manager with proven technical expertise and leadership experience in driving Cloud Operations standards and procedures; significant expertise on the AWS ecosystem of services and products. Azure experience is a plus.
- 5+ years of experience of platform architecture and support experience.
- Proficient experience in managing outages, customer escalations, crisis management, and other similar circumstances.
- Solid foundation in Windows/Linux operating systems and tools.
- Strong understanding of networks, firewall systems, and routing protocols.
- Proficient with DevOps tools and environments like Jenkins, Git, Terraform.
- Proficient with scripting languages like Python, Shell, Bash.
- Experience with centralized logging services like LogEntries, SumoLogic, Splunk.
- Experience with monitoring tools like NewRelic, Graphite, Nagios, Zabbix.
- Demonstrated ability to absorb new concepts, facilitate discussions, and lead fellow team members and guide other departments in a technology environment.
- Exceptional critical thinking skills; ability to decompose complex problems, prioritize issues, and implement sensible solutions.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to speak and write clearly and accurately, particularly as it relates to technical concepts.
- Passionate about quality, performance, reliability, and scalability.
- Strong organization and project management skills.
- Experience facilitating incident management and system recovery efforts.
Additional Candidate Preferences
- Payments industry experience.
- Experience managing an off-shore engineering team.
- Expertise in Agile methods, software development lifecycle management, continuous integration, and build and release management.
- Experience in commercial software development with a variety of languages (Java, C, C++, Ruby).
- Experience with making NGINX configurations and adjustments.
- Experience implementing modern microservices architectures.
- Mobile payments industry experience, including securing mobile devices through Mobile Device Management (MDM) solutions.
Compensation, Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary
- Full benefits
- 401K plan with company matching
- Paid vacation, holidays, and sick days
- Inclusive and collaborative culture
- Employee Game Room with shuffleboard table, corn hole, and ping pong
- Catered lunch every Wednesday
- Headquarters located in beautiful Santa Barbara, California